Monday, 1 September 2008

Saltburn-by-the-sea

It's Labor Day and what better way to celebrate our hard work then to have a relaxing day at the beach! Today we went to the beach at Saltburn-by-the-sea (this is the actual name of the town and not just its location).
Isaac and Luke loved the running up and down the beach. They built sand castles and stomped on them. I got a chance to climb the grassy hill nearby and do some exploring on the rocky part of the beach. Dionne enjoyed relaxing in our American flag beach chairs and wished she had brought a book to read.



We rode the Saltburn Tramway to the town at the top of the cliffs. The ingenious tramway uses counter-balancing water tanks to move either tram car to the top or bottom. The design of the car and stained glass windows made you feel that you had just step back in time to the 1880s.


On the home front, Luke has been having some nightmares about monsters. He also has been referring to himself as a dragon lion. It was about this age when Isaac called himself a water buffalo. So we now have a water buffalo and dragon lion living in our house along with a monster that hides under Luke’s pillow.

4 comments:

Sjauna said...

That just reminded me - a couple of months ago Owen had some dreams about a monster that he called "Botstaboots" He would wake up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. I should have written it down.

Lisa said...

These are great pictures. It does feel like you are back in the 18 hundreds. I can totally see Dionne in her American Flag chair at the beach. I hope your style hasn't changed; I loved all your America stuff and Boyd's bears. Do your English neighbors dig all the Yankee stuff? That tram looked a little scary. I'm sorry Luke is having bad dreams. I wonder how they came up with dragon lion and water buffalo. That made me laugh!

Gina Shumway said...

Although I love hearing about what you guys have done, hearing about Luke and Isaac at home really hit me. I miss them, even though I only got to know them a little over a couple days, I miss them. I'm glad you all are doing well! Derek and I keep talking about coming and seeing you. Maybe we can after I finish school.

Nicole said...

Lions and Dragons and Water Buffalo...Oh my!!