Are you currently serving in primary and have a seating arrangment problem? If so, this post might be of interest to you. I am currently serving as second counselor in the primary presidency and our seating arrangement was in complete disarray. Every week, there was a different class in a different seat. I came up with the idea to sew slip covers for the chairs with the class names. I measured our chairs and made a pattern. I cut a variety of fabrics and enlisted the service of the Faith in God Girls (Activity Day Girls for you Americans). The girls picked a fabric, picked a class name, picked their thread colors, and embroidered away. Once they were finished, I added some ribbon and some buttons to spice things up and sewed them together. Warning, this project did take allot longer than I anticipated. I easily spent over 20 hours of my own. This project took me back to the days of my youth doing Personal Progress and Laurel projects. I thought to myself, now I know why the Personal Progress program has Laurels do such big service projects. It is for training and experience so that you will hopefully continue to do it again and again. The end result was really worth the effort. I took them to church for the first time this past Sunday, and all the girls were really pleased to see their work in finished form. And every class knew exactly where to sit. Order has returned to our primary! Well, at least momentarily.
Here's a size comparison (don't be distracted by the riff raff).
3 comments:
I love reading your blog.
Great sewing project- and that was a good idea to get the girls involved too.
Your little boys are so handsome!
I envy that you live in ENGLAND!!!! What a dream!
Riff-Raft is my favorite. I think more rift-raft should be included in your blog!!
Nice idea!
You are so creative! How did you get the girls to embroider so well? I'm the activity days leader here, and if we don't already have chair covers, maybe we'll use this idea! I just have a hard time seeing our girls being able to do it. Maybe I am underestimating them. :)
Post a Comment